Political Economy is about this question:
How shall we organize our productive capacities as human beings to meet our mutual needs?
For the last 200+ years we have chosen capitalism, or more accurately, capitalism has been imposed upon us.
For the last 18 years, we have given capitalism and capitalists everything they asked and could ever dream of wanting.
Loose or no regulation
Little or no taxation, and an enthusiastically supportive mass media
Freedom to use our planet’s resources
Tax payer funded public subsidies, bail outs, and tax credits.
No competition from any other system
WITH THIS TOTAL SUPPORT, CAPITALISM HAS NOW UNQUESTIONABLY DEMONSTRATED THAT IT CANNOT MEET HUMAN NEEDS.
- Capitalism cannot produce food to avoid massive human starvation
- Capitalism can not produce housing for any but the wealthy.
- Capitalism can not provide reasonable or adequate medical care
- Capitalism can not provide meaningful work, and can not provide a livable wage for millions of humans for any work.
- Capitalism is causing the destruction of our planetary environment
- Capitalism has produced a small, dominant leadership elite of immense wealth and power who insist that this failed capitalism must continue as is.
WHO WILL DARE TO SAY THIS?
Who will dare to say that the “king has no clothes?”
Dated: May 1, 2008 Doug Page,